Wednesday 2 January 2019

He’s behind you! A very English Tradition

This morning; Noel and I left for Oxford or more importantly Churchill Hospital.  I had my six monthly review at the Respiratory Clinic.  I saw a new consultant today!  He smiled but he is an academic who has practised his - smile to patient ‘smile’.  He liked to talk about my medication by using the pharmaceutical names, not the names that our local pharmacy, GP or I know them as ... my respect dropped a bit.  He then went on to say: my use of the inhaler was in correct.  For goodness sake I use a full mask aero chamber - really hard to get wrong!  And he liked this by the book i.e. not to use my nebuliser at home.  Sadly this is because a few people have been irresponsible with their own lives and instead of going into hospital have over self medicated, using a home nebuliser.  I tried to explain, that I want to LIVE and that I will not take chances. I also tried to explain about why I do not use an ambulance (most of the time).  It can take 45 minutes for an ambulance to arrive but it will take Noel and 12-15 minutes in the car.  But he said the ambulance has oxygen - yes it may do but I have to wait up to 45 minutes, where if I get there by car, I am having the full treatment in 20 minutes. I left his office feeling as if I had been tripped up, really not a nice feeling.  So I asked to have a chat with my respiratory nurse at the clinic and we had a good positive conversation.  She was disappointed that the consultant had not ‘got’ me.  She said that some one with such a severe asthma as mine and that I am still living - I therefore most be doing something right and that ‘going by the book’ doesn’t always fit.  And I am one of those sensible and responsible patients, that does not take risks.  She made me feel better about how I cope with my illness and told me how much she enjoys seeing me.

However, on the plus plus side, I only have to visit Oxford once a year and probably in John Radcliffe Hospital as the department was moving.  So just as well I had planned to show you this hospital.  I love it - it is old but, I like to think of all those patients before me ......

The History of the Churchill Hospital - Wikipedia 

The original hospital on the site was built in 1940 with the intention of providing medical aid to people suffering orthopaedic injuries as a result of air raids during the Second World War,  This proved unnecessary, and the building was leased to the United Stated Army medical services, who were relocating from Basingstoke.  The new American Hospital was named after Sir Winston Churchill, the then Prime Minister, and was opened by the Duchess of Kent on 27 January 1942.



The US Army left the hospital at the end of the war and itwas taken over by the local council and reopened as a conventional hospital in January 1946.  The Churchill Hospital came under common management with the John Radcliffe Hospital in April 1991 and with the Nuffield Orthopaedic Centre in November 2011.  New cancer treatment facilities were procured under a Private Finance Initiative contract in 2005.  The new facility, which was built by a joint venture of Alfred McAlpine and Impregilo at a cost of £125 million, opened in 2009.


I took these photographs today; showing the history of the building and that spring is coming.




No proper doors at the rear entrance.


The original metal framed windows.


One of the many little green gardens
between what would have been the wards.


The long slopping corridor.


My entrance.


And spring has come early due to the slightly
 warmer weather we have been having.


To finish our last non working day of the christmas holidays; we: Noel, Poppy, Mac (Poppy’s friend from school days) and myself (which shows just how well I am doing, by being able  to go to the theatre - with all those germs!) went to see the Pantomine - Aladdin at the Wyvern Theatre - such good fun.  



In fact the sillier and the more you interact with the cast, the more fun you have - 'Boooo' and 'He’s Behind You' with competitive singing and actions from all generations and practically the whole theater: singing the Little Shark song.  So funny, and wonderful to see and hear everyone singing and dancing in their chairs.  

Till the next time, Jacky xx



No comments:

Post a Comment