Monday 18 June 2018

Hospitals!

Two hospital visits; one for me at The Great Western Hospital, Swindon - I have a routine 4 weekly appointment, with a specially trained respiratory nurse to look after me and 10 other patients.  We all have this very extreme form of asthma and are all on the same medical trial.  My results for this month are poor however when looking at the overall picture of how poorly I have been and the major operation I have had.  A) we (the nurse and myself) are not surprised at the results and B) we are in fact incredibly pleased that the results were not in the fail category.  I did come away with a new inhaler to replace a similar make of one I had but in an incorrect format - a certain nurse is going to have words with the consultant!!

Our (Noel and me) second hospital visit of the the day was at Southampton General Hospital, sadly Noel’s dad is very poorly.  However we made him laugh, I got the impression he hadn’t done that fo a while and I think I was also able to make him relax and understand that I could help to make him more comfortable. I am going to use all my hospital experiences to assist him in planning a care package.  A package that fits and works for him - the most important thing being his pain control.  I feel honoured that he (hopefull - not quite confirmed) will let me help him sort all this to the best of my ability.

This is where I find knitting comes into it’s own.  So smoothing, so meditative, so relaxing - while ‘crap’ is going on all around me!  I can still engage with the surrounding hullabaloo but also just nestle into my knitting; Slip 1, knit, 1, knit through back of look, knit 3 and so on ...


No comments:

Post a Comment