Thursday 14 June 2018

My Fly Catcher

I would like to introduce you to my kitten - Ski.  She was born supposedly on the 13/10/18 - even though this date is quite disputable.  I had been thinking about getting a new cat for several months and periodically would look to see what kittens were for sale. And then I would talk myself out of the whole kitten scenario.  I have lived with cats most of my life, either my parents, grandparents or my own.  It has been quite a while; three plus years since my last cat passed away and several months since Seuss had moved out, when my daughter and partner got there own home. Seuss still comes to stay on holiday which is why I wanted to be sure I was ready!  Then suddenly on the 10th December 2017 - the first real snowy day of the winter - a Sunday, I just knew I was ready.  I was in bed and just decided there and then to look to see what cats were available.  And up popped 3 kittens.  A tortoiseshell, a tabby and a little tiny black kitten. The black one was for me, she was also half the price of the others!!! But the little black cat was the one I liked the look, no loved the look of....

I texted the lady, selling the kittens; asked all the correct questions and yes, she had the mum there to see.  She was even quite funny and admitted she had no idea who the dad was - this did make me laugh.  She said that they had been wormed and flea’ed, her daughter was a veterinarian nurse and that they were lovely kittens.

I was so excited.  Noel agreed to drive me to Pewsey.  We made a mutually convenient time for that Sunday afternoon.  We were met at the door by Grandma; the lady selling the kittens and her granddaughter, dressed as an Elf - very sweet.

The little - actually a really tiny black kitten was put into my hands.  No other kittens to be seen, so I asked. The granddaughter came back into the living room with one of the other kittens.  To be fair the kittens were very relaxed.  Then the ‘mum’ cat walked in, I have to say she looked an amazing silver tabby and was beautiful.  I just hope she was the mum and we weren’t duped.

We bought ‘Ski’; £80.00 and remember she was half the price of the other kittens. When did the price of moggies become so expensive?  

Ski was supposedly 8 weeks old but weighed just 600g.  We had been sent home with some food but it became painfully obvious within a couple of days this little kitten was struggling. So we wormed her, we bathed her and deflea’ed her.  And got her to the vets - we had done all the correct things, we just needed to see if we could get her to put weight on.  This we did, with the most expensive kitten food available and with lots of love and diligence.

But my goodness didn’t that kitten repay us with love and endless cuddles and purring.  She would not leave my side, she stayed with me every hour of the day and night.  She was everything I needed and I/we were everything she needed.

Today she is still a tiny 8 month old cat but she is healthy and intelligent and still a little cuddle engine - who is incredibly quick at catching flies! So fast!!

And why Ski - well, remember it was snowy and it was a Sunday. So we came up with Ski - like you do xxx





No comments:

Post a Comment